How we started
Parish Players' was founded in 1956 after the Vicar of St Mary's at the time, Reverend Squire Heaton Renshaw, asked a member of the congregation, Charlie Flowers, to find a group of local youngsters who could "sing, sew and saw" and put on a Pantomime for the Parish.
This they managed with the first performance taking place in January 1957 and the rest, as they say, is history!
Throughout its history, Parish Players' has had many generations of the same families being involved, either on or off stage, with some occasions involving grandparents, parents, grandchildren, brother, sisters and cousins being involved in the same production!
Lasting friendships have been made over the years, some spanning many decades, and some evolving into romance and even marriage!
We are very lucky to have maintained a loyal membership throughout the years, one of our current members was in our very first performance and others, who still retain their memberships despite moving to various locations around the world, back and visit for rehearsals and performances when travel and time allows!
Members have gone on to have successful careers in the entertainment sector - read details of some here.